What an amazing difference more than a year and a half can make! First off, let me start this particular entry by offering my sincere apology for seemingly dropping off of the radar. When I last wrote I was coming fresh off of CMAFest 2013. Since that time, God has brought about some amazing developments.
Through a unique set of circumstances, last July this ministry, Platform to Change, officially moved from northern Lexington, Kentucky to the deep south city of Austin, Texas. Now, it is no coincidence that Austin just so happens to be the Live Music Capital of the World and home to one of the biggest music and film festivals in the United States, South by Southwest (SXSW). What a perfect setting for this continually growing ministry!
In the past year, there's been a huge spotlight on country music both for the last season of NBC's The Voice and the current one. If you watched the show last season or you've been watching the show this season, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
While this ministry doesn't endorse any one particular artist (we lovingly pray for and support all those in the country music industry), The Voice has paved the way for many up and coming country music artists such as The Swon Brothers, 2 Steel Girls, Danielle Bradbery, and Holly Tucker just to name a few. Not to mention that we were pleased to see country music artist Craig Wayne Boyd win The Voice last season.
Now on the current season yet another major up and coming country music artist, Meghan Linsey, has a shot at the top spot on The Voice. Moving from singing with a duo as part of Steel Magnolia to working to launch her solo music career this strong, soulful, musical artist has style and grace and is definitely one to watch out for! Don't believe me? Check out her most recent Knockout performance on The Voice of "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman":
With the increasing focus on country music, the need for this ministry is more important than ever! Whether you are just a country music fan reading this blog for the first time or someone who genuinely cares about the industry, there are tons of ways that you can be involved in supporting your favorite artists. Here are just a few:
- Pray - One of the most powerful things you can do is pray for a country music artist.
- Call - Call your local radio stations and request your favorite artists' music.
- Download - Go to iTunes or Amazon or wherever you purchase your favorite music and download your favorite artists' songs.
- Vote - Whether it's for the ACM Awards, The Voice, or another top poll please know that your vote matters!
- Show up - Whenever possible for you, go to concerts. Meet your favorite artists and encourage them. I know not everybody always has the ability to do this; but if you have the means and the opportunity, go for it!
- Write - Yes, it's true. Country music artists (artists in general) get tons and tons and tons of fan mail! Regardless, you can still make a difference in the life of a country music artist by sending a card or an encouraging note to let them know that they have your support.
- Promote - One of the best ways to get the word out about your favorite country music artists is to wear shirts or bracelets advertising them, placing decals on your car, carrying koozies with their logo, etc. Whatever the means, anyone can help promote with just a minor investment - and who wouldn't want to wear a shirt advertising their favorite country music artist?
I hope you will join me in continuing to actively promote and support the country music industry. We are in a great new era in the country music industry - and in the life of this ministry. Stay tuned for more opportunities and adventures in the future!